1. What makes your work unique? We are an art and textile focused brand. We love making prints and collaborating with local artists and makers on the artwork that creates our patterns. All of our prints and many of our textiles are custom. We love to make modern clean shapes in playful fabrics. We strive to encourage creative living and having fun with the way you dress.
2. What advice do you have for people on making that switch from struggling creative to successful business owner? It is important to focus and trust your gut. You should listen and learn, but only you truly know the message and product you are trying to push. Remember that you don't have to be everything to everyone. If there is one thing that you do best, start there and make that as strong as possible before you branch out too quickly.
3. Everyone hears about success stories but it's important to hear about failure too. Have you failed and if so, do you have any advice for aspiring entrepreneurs? I cannot stress how important it is to focus. There was a point after we started to see a little success where we were convinced to add new categories too soon. We were known for print, color and novelty and no one was buying basics from us and sales took a hit. We had to go back to the drawing board and refresh our original message. If I could go back, I would attack one core concept first and then expand organically from there.
I think it is important to know that there is no one right way. There is advice that works for one brand and not another. You should think about where you want to go and what path is best for you. Comparing to someone else's experience can be very dangerous. Finally, balancing your life is really important. When you own your own business, it is easy to become completely submerged in it.
4. Let's spread the love...Who is doing great work in your circle that you would love to give shout-outs to? There are so many good brands out there right now. I love Sophie Buhai's new jewelry line. Mociun, which is jewelry as well, is great. Apparel wise, I adore A Detacher and M.Patmos.
5. What app or program can you not live without? Trulia. I don't know why, but I love looking at houses in areas we travel or have been. I'm always thinking "what if we moved here. Where would we live?" We are not currently looking for a house or to move, so it's basically real estate porn.
6. What are a few of your favorite albums?
Neil Young-Harvest Moon
High Fidelity Soundtrack
Edward Scissorhands Soundtrack
7. Everyone has an a-ha moment. When was yours? I'm not sure I've had the big one yet...lots of mini ones. I'll keep you posted.