Based in an area along the Los Angeles River named Frogtown, Brendan's studio is the stuff dreams are made of. It's big and beautiful and looks out onto the river and a lush green habitat. Part of only a few high-end American lighting companies dedicated to American manufacturing, his business grows more and more every year. Get Brendan's advice and insight below!
Photography by Bryan Dale
1. What makes your work unique? When designing in a world full of stuff I think it's important to create objects that do not follow trend but are expressions of new assembly methods or manufacturing methods. I think the work stands out because of this different perspective.
2. What advice do you have for people on making that switch from struggling creative to successful business owner? Treat your enterprise as a job and keep regular hours. Show up on time and stay late. Work 40 hours, M-F 9-5 and then work another 20 more at home or on weekends. If you don't take yourself seriously nobody else will.
3. Everyone hears about success stories but it's important to hear about failure too. Have you failed and if so, do you have any advice for aspiring entrepreneurs? Over the years there have been many projects and clients that for some reason or other we've had to walk away from without any tangible results. You can't worry about things you can't control, instead it's important to put your efforts into the things you can affect.
4. Let's spread the love...Who is doing great work in your circle that you would love to give shout-outs to? Wrk-shp, Scout Regalia, 100x Better, Stephen Kenn, Matt Gagnon, Dstrct Millworks, Eric Trine
5. What app or program can you not live without? Skethcup is an important program in my process, but I could live without it or any other app for that matter. I could be happily become a luddite.
6. What are a few of your favorite albums? Mile Davis Kind of Blue, Gangstarr Moment of Truth
7. Everyone has an a-ha moment. When was yours? When I began playing with legos and realized my passion for making things.