DIY Supply Guide: LA
On my personal blog SwellMayde, one of the most asked questions is about where to buy supplies. Having lived in LA most of my life, and gone to school in the heart of the LA fashion district, I compiled a list of my go-to spots for supplies. Hope you all find it pretty handy! :)
I separated the list by areas in Los Angeles, since the stores are a bit spread apart. Note: I have only gone to their actual store locations, and have not personally purchased from their websites. Please stay tuned for a list of online sites that I buy materials from. :)
Fabrics: 1. Michael Levine (here) 920 Maple Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90015 Phone: 213-622-6259 Mon - Sat 9:00am - 5:30pm Sun 11:00am - 4:00pm You can find every type of fabric here at great prices. Beautiful finds go fast. Snatch your favorite fabrics when you first eye them, because chances are they might not be there the next time go. They also carry sewing supplies and a wonderful array of trim.
2. Michael Levine Home (here) 919 Maple Ave. Los Angeles, CA. 90015 Phone: 213-689-1363 Mon - Sat: 9 am - 5:30pm Sun: 11am - 4 pm This is a great place for upholstery and outdoor fabrics, with good prices as well. I often stop here for my vinyl and pleather.
Trim/ Jewelry Supplies: 1. Button & Trim Expo 828 Maple Ave Los Angeles, CA 90014 Phone: (213) 622-2323 Mon - Thu, Sun: 9 am - 6 pm Fri: 9 am - 4 pm I love stopping by here for trim inspiration or when I'm on the hunt for something very specific. Fringe, lace, sequin, and beaded trim galore!
2. X Trims & Leathers (here) 811 S Maple Ave Los Angeles, CA 90014 Phone: (213) 622-8585 Mon - Sat: 9 am - 5 pm Sun: 10 am - 5 pm Awesome place for hardware, especially for accessories, such as leather bags.
3. Athenian Fashions (here) 820 S Maple St #5 Los Angeles, CA 90014 Phone: (213) 623-1289 They have an awesome selection of jewelry supplies from beads to chains to studs. A little pricier than other spots, but the quality is great.
4. Bead Factory (here) 810 S. Maple Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90014 Phone: (213) 624-2121 Mon - Fri 9am-4pm Sat 8am-1pm Sun closed This place can get pretty crowded, and once you check out their awesome selection of beads and chains and unbeatable prices, you will see why.
5. Beads & More (here) 800 Maple Ave Ste A Los Angeles, CA 90014 Phone: (213) 955-9000 An amazing selection of beads and jewerly materials. Slightly on the pricier side, but I have on more than one occasion found very unique beads and studs that I could not find anywhere else.
2. Mood Fabrics (here) 6151 W Pico Ave Los Angeles, CA 90035 Phone: (323) 653-6663 Mon- Fri 9:30am - 6:30pm Sat 10am - 5pm Sun closed They have an amazing selection of fabrics. This was my go to spot for beautiful knit jerseys and cotton shirtings. They even receive remnant fabric from great designers like Marc Jacobs and Helmut Lang. They also have a great variety of leather.
3. Pearl Art (here) 1250 La Cienega Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90035 Phone: (310) 854-4900 Mon-Sat 9:30am - 8:30pm Sun 11am - 6pm After Mood, I would come here for all my art school needs, from paint to drawing psncils, and they offered a student discount.
2. Bead Source 10606 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90064 Phone: (310) 841-2636 When I can't make it all the way downtown, this is my go to spot for all things jewelry from beads to tools.